Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Producing Hypertufa Planters, The First Batch.


Portland Cement, the binding agent.


Perlite & Peat Moss: Organic Aggregates


Mixing Tub with small amount of wet Hypertufa mix.

 
The very first planter produced on my workbench. I found most of the information about getting started, online. The concept is basic, I suggest watching a few video presentations.
 
Currently, I've dedicated my entire cellar to the production of these planters. I've elected multiple bays for storing fresh batches, a dedicated table for shaping semi-wet forms (48 hour "newborns"), and several bays for the 28 day cure.
 
Sometimes I'll use plastic forms upcycled from a local collection at nurseries, other times I've built wooden box forms. I've found that if you try to eject your planter from the mold prematurely, 12-24 hours....you may jeopardize integrity, or crack your piece entirely. Much in concrete work depends on temperature and humidity.  Patience is the key component. After shaping, I double wrap each planter in plastic shopping bags, to retain moisture and allow slow curing of "green concrete".  Bi-weekly, I'll remove the plastic wrap and mist each piece well, then rewrap for storage. The last step before presenting for sale....an intensive rinsing process with vinegar and water, and allow to fully leach. Here are details:  http://www.ehow.com/how_7892869_leach-lime-hypertufa-planters.html
 
You will find BoxPotz on facebook. You may like BoxPotz.
Locally I'm offering these planters at retail. Also available wholesale to the trade.
 
 
 
 UPDATE, 3/20/2015, HYPERTUFA BOXPOTZ...A HUGE SUCCESS LAST SEASON. WHILE I'M TAKING A "BREAK" FROM ART SHOWS/FESTIVALS/MARKETS....THE CUSTOM ORDERS STEADILY ROLL IN. ENOUGH FOR ME TO FULFILL DURING THE WEEKENDS.
MANY MORE PHOTOS TO ACCOMPANY. I will most likely create a PART 2 of this BLOG.
 
I welcome your questions and comments.
 
Randy Lofthouse, http://www.boxpotz.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment